Inclement Weather/Early Closing Information
The following policy has been established to assure your child’s safety when weather conditions warrant:
School Closings and Late Starts:
Parkland schools will not open when travel is too difficult to guarantee the safety of students. If bad weather forces the closing of schools, we will still have school, but all students will be in eLearning. We will utilize the District’s rapid notification system to alert parents and staff of a delay or in-person closure at approximately 5:30 AM, post the information to our web site at www.parklandsd.org and notify the local media for broadcast purposes. Early closings and activity cancellations, due to adverse weather conditions or other emergencies, will be communicated in the same manner.
Bus transportation will be canceled or delayed depending upon weather conditions. Students using Parkland transportation and attending a non-public school shall:
- Follow the instructions for Parkland School District as announced on the District web site.
- If your school is open, but Parkland buildings are closed for in-person learning due to inclement weather, there will be NO TRANSPORTATION!
- If Parkland is experiencing a weather delay, all nonpublic bus transportation will also be delayed.
- PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE SCHOOL OR TRANSPORTATION OFFICE as it is helpful if phone lines remain open to contact schools and drivers.
- Check this website. The buses will start picking up students for transport home as soon as possible.
- Parents should arrange to have someone at the bus stop to meet their child or children (especially Kindergarten students)
- Expect delays! Driving conditions may be less than ideal.
All Inclement Weather Days Will Be eLearning Days
Your student(s) will have lessons and work to complete during the school day. Your student(s) teacher(s) will notify the student of the day’s schedule via Schoology. Attendance will be taken based on submission of assignments. Students will have up to 3 days after the snow day to submit assignments.
Teachers will be available through email and Schoology during regular school hours on a snow day.
Elementary students will not have their tier 2 or 3 intervention on a snow eLearning day.
Early Closing Information
On days when Parkland Schools have a scheduled Early Closing, schools will be dismissed as follows:
- Parkland Secondary Schools: Orefield Middle School, Springhouse Middle School, Parkland High School: 1:00 PM
- Parkland Elementary Schools: 1:45 PM
Inclement Weather Guidelines
If Parkland School District is closed, has a delayed opening or an early dismissal as a result of inclement weather, the information will be disseminated via the commercial radio, TV, social media and the Parkland website.
Therefore the following rules apply to bus service supplied by Parkland.
- If Parkland School District buildings are closed – No transportation will be provided to any school, public, private or parochial.
- If Parkland School District opens 2 hours late – All bus transportation will be 2 hours late even if your school (public, private, or parochial) is running on a normal time schedule. If your student needs to be at school at the regular time, they need to provide their own transportation.
- If Parkland School District is operating on a normal schedule, but your school is not – All buses will run on a normal schedule but the district will attempt to honor your delay schedule.
- Afternoon transportation will be normal on days that Parkland School District opens late.
- In the event Parkland School District decides to close buildings early because of deteriorating weather conditions, public school parents will be notified by an automated telephone system. If you are a private or parochial parent, your school will be notified and they in turn will notify you. PSD will attempt to update families on early closing due to inclement weather in the event transportation is delayed.