Inclement Weather/Early Closing Information
The following policy has been established to assure your child’s safety when weather conditions warrant:
School Closings and Late Starts:
Parkland Transportation will not operate when travel is too difficult to guarantee the safety of students. If bad weather forces Transportation cease operations, we may utilize a Flexible Instructional Day (FID) which may include online teaching and/or independent assignments that will be communicated via Schoology (read more details about this below). We will utilize the District’s rapid notification system to alert parents and staff of a delay or in-person closure and whether or not a FID Day will be used at approximately 5:30 AM, post the information to our website at www.parklandsd.org, and post on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram feeds. Early closings and activity cancellations, due to adverse weather conditions or other emergencies, will be communicated in the same manner.
Bus transportation will be canceled or delayed depending upon weather conditions. Students using Parkland transportation and attending a non-public school shall:
- Follow the instructions for Parkland School District as announced on the District website.
- If your school is open, but Parkland buildings are closed for in-person learning due to inclement weather, there will be NO TRANSPORTATION!
- If Parkland is experiencing a weather delay, all nonpublic bus transportation will also be delayed.
- PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE SCHOOL OR TRANSPORTATION OFFICE as it is helpful if phone lines remain open to contact schools and drivers.
- Check this website. The buses will start picking up students for transport home as soon as possible.
- Parents should arrange to have someone at the bus stop to meet their child or children (especially Kindergarten students)
- Expect delays! Inclement weather often causes delays on area roadways.
Inclement Weather Days may be Flexible Instruction Days
The first three inclement weather/emergency days may be made up as teacher professional development days with no requirements for students. If additional inclement weather/emergency days are needed, we may use up to five (5) Flexible Instruction Days (FIDs). Your student(s) will have lessons and work to complete during the school day on a FID. Your student(s) teacher(s) will notify the student of the day’s schedule via Schoology. Attendance will be taken based on submission of assignments. Students will have up to 3 days after the FID to submit assignments.
Teachers will be available through email and Schoology during regular school hours on a Flexible Instruction Day.
Early Closing Information
On days when Parkland Schools have a scheduled Early Closing, schools will be dismissed as follows:
- Parkland Secondary Schools: Orefield Middle School, Springhouse Middle School, Parkland High School: 1:00 PM
- Parkland Elementary Schools: 1:45 PM
Inclement Weather Guidelines
If Parkland School District is closed, has a delayed opening or an early dismissal as a result of inclement weather, the information will be disseminated via the Rapid Notification System (email/phone/text), social media and the Parkland website. Therefore, you should keep your contact information up to date with your school office.
The following rules apply to bus service supplied by Parkland.
- If Parkland School District buildings are closed – No transportation will be provided to any school, public, private or parochial.
- If Parkland School District opens 2 hours late – All bus transportation will be 2 hours late even if your school (public, private, or parochial) is running on a normal time schedule. If your student needs to be at school at the regular time, they need to provide their own transportation.
- If Parkland School District is operating on a normal schedule, but your school is not – All buses will run on a normal schedule but the district will attempt to honor your delay schedule.
- Afternoon transportation will be normal on days that Parkland Schools open late.
- In the event Parkland School District decides to close buildings early because of deteriorating weather conditions, public school parents will be notified by the Rapid Notification System. If you are a private or parochial parent, your school will be notified and they in turn will notify you. PSD will attempt to update families on early closing due to inclement weather in the event transportation is delayed.