Microsoft Office 365
Free Microsoft Office Suite for Parkland Students and Staff
The web-based and desktop versions of the Microsoft Office Suite are now available at no cost to Parkland students and staff. The online suite includes Word Online, Outlook.com, OneNote Online, PowerPoint Online, Excel Online, and OneDrive for storage as well as the ability to download the full desktop (installed) version of Office for free on up to 5 devices. The installed desktop version of Microsoft Office ProPlus Suite includes the following programs:
- Word (also available in web format)
- Outlook (also available in web format)
- OneNote (also available in web format)
- PowerPoint (also available in web format)
- Excel (also available in web format)
- OneDrive (online storage - desktop app is available to synchronize files and folders - similar to Dropbox)
- Publisher (desktop version only)
- Access (desktop version only)
The web site is Office.com and the login username and password have been synchronized with students' and staff network logins so it will not be necessary to create another account. The username will be the numeric network login ID with @parklandsd.org appended. For example, if a staff/student’s network login is 12345 his or her username would be firstname.lastname@example.org. The password to login is synchronized with the student or staff member's network account password.
Microsoft is also offering 1 terabyte of free storage space, the equivalent of approximately a thousand 1 gigabyte flash drives. The accounts can be used with up to 5 devices. Mobile apps are available for both iOS (Apple) and Android devices which support the use of this cloud-based version of Microsoft Office.
For instructions, please see below:
1. Go to portal.office.com and click Sign in (top right of the page). Do not select the option to create a new account.
2. Enter your user ID as in the example below and click Next. You will be redirected to the login page where you will enter your current network login password.
3. Once signed in you will be presented with a dashboard similar to the one below
Please note that it is possible (and depending on your device might be preferable) to use only the web-based version of the software. The web apps are designed to synchronize with the desktop version of the software by clicking on a button at the top of the screen to launch the full desktop version (see sample below):
Office 365 Education is a collection of services that allows you to collaborate and share your schoolwork. It’s available for free to students who are currently attending an academic institution. Office 365 Education includes Office Online (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote), 1TB of OneDrive storage, Yammer, and SharePoint sites. Some schools allow students to install the full Office applications on up to 5 PCs or Macs for free. If your school provides this additional benefit, you'll see the Install Office button on your Office 365 home page after you complete sign-up.
You must be an active full-time or part-time student at an academic institution and:
- Have a school-specific email address provided by the school (for example, contoso.edu) that can receive external email.
- Be of legal age to sign up for an online offer individually (13 years old).
- Have Internet access.
You can use the plan until you graduate or are no longer enrolled at a school. Your student eligibility may be re-verified at any time. When your Office 365 Education plan expires:
- If you are using the full, installed Office applications, the Office applications will enter a reduced-functionality mode, which means that you can view documents, but you cannot edit or create new documents.
- Online services associated with the school email address—for example, Office Online and OneDrive—will no longer work.
This account is associated with the school and should be used for school-appropriate content, such as homework and schoolwork. Permissions and access can be changed by the school’s IT administrator at any time.
Office 365 Education is licensed for use only by the individual student.
To install Office 365 Education, your PC or Mac must meet the minimum system requirements. View the system requirements.