Weekly Updates 2021-22 School Year
June 2, 2022
LAST WEEKLY UPDATE!
Thursday, June 9 is the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL. There was a change to the dismissal info we shared last week for students in grades 6-12. OMS and SMS will dismiss at 9:30 AM. Elementary Schools will dismiss at 11:45 AM. At PHS, only students who have been notified by their teachers and have incomplete work (i.e.- assignments, projects, assessments, etc.), should report to school on the 9th. PHS parents can refer to today's email for further details.
STATE OF THE DISTRICT - Dr. Mark Madson, Superintendent, recorded a "State of the District" video to give our community an update on everything that Parkland has been working on this spring. Check it out on his webpage here.
THE CLASS OF 2022 AWARDS SEASON wrapped up this week. Check out the links on the Class of 2022 timeline to see who won scholarships, academic awards, athletic awards and arts awards as well as a list of those inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame and a list of students moving on to play their sport in college here. We wish the Class of 2022 much success and happiness as they graduate on Tuesday!
EPISODE 8 of the Superintendent's #PARKLANDPRIDE Podcast - Dr. Madson chats with Katrina Sundstrom, Executive Director of Parkland CARES and Dr. Michelle Minotti, Assistant Superintendent of Parkland Schools and Parkland CARES Board Member as well as the person who founded the Parkland REACH Program (Resources Enhancing All Children's Health). Both work to help struggling families overcome obstacles with food snack packs, back to school backpacks, holiday meals, clothing and more.
ALL THINGS SUMMER - Parkland Schools will officially close on Thursday, June 9th, but we still have summer camps, learning opportunities, summer library, summer athlete physicals and more on our ALL THINGS SUMMER page. Bookmark it here and make note that the first day of the 2022-23 school year is August 29, 2022. Note: students should check Schoology for Parkland High School summer assignments for honors courses.
HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!
- September 3, 2021
- September 9, 2021
- September 16, 2021
- September 23, 2021
- September 30, 2021
- October 7, 2021
- October 14, 2021
- October 21, 2021
- October 28, 2021
- November 4, 2021
- November 11, 2021
- November 18, 2021
- November 24, 2021
- December 2, 2021
- December 9, 2021
- December 16, 2021
- January 7, 2022
- January 14, 2022
- January 20, 2022
- January 27, 2022
- February 4, 2022
- February 11, 2022
- February 17, 2022
- February 24, 2022
- March 3, 2022
- March 10, 2022
- March 17, 2021
- March 24, 2022
- March 31, 2022
- April 7, 2022
- April 21, 2022
- April 28, 2022
- May 5, 2022
- May 12, 2022
- May 19, 2022
- May 26, 2022
September 3, 2021
1. HAVE YOU CHECKED OUT YOUR SCHOOL’s 1st WEEK OF SCHOOL WEB PORTAL? If not, please take some time to do so. We’ve compiled all the documents you need to prepare your family for the school year ahead on one webpage to make it super convenient to find answers to your most pressing questions (think FOOD SERVICE, SCHOOLOGY, HOME ACCESS CENTER, etc.).
2. COVID Alerts – This school year, the District will not send COVID alerts when cases are reported. Instead, we will be keeping our community informed with this COVID-19 Dashboard which will be updated with real-time data and information as cases are reported and confirmed. Anyone who is identified as a close contact will still be contacted with quarantining and/or precautionary guidance by a school nurses as the nurses will still be conducting contact tracing. For your convenience, the School Nursing Department has created these handy home health screening instructional flow charts that guide families and staff on what to do if someone in their household falls ill.
3. ATHLETIC LIVESTREAMING – is back and better than ever because this year, Parkland TV students will be commentating at various varsity sports! Most middle and high school home games will be broadcast. The first livestream of the year will occur on September 8th when Girls Volleyball plays Allen HS and Boys Soccer takes on Central Catholic! Tune in at www.parklandsd.org/athleticlivestream.
4. 1st FOOTBALL GAME – is tonight vs. Easton at Easton’s stadium. It’s the first official game of the season for our Parkland Trojans and you can get tickets online here: http://eastonrovertickets.com.
5. CALENDARS – As in, you should have received one from your youngest student this week. Please check their backpacks! Thursday, September 16th is a Teacher Professional Development Day which means the teachers have to work, but Parkland students have the day off. Of course, calendar items are subject to change, so stay up to date by bookmarking the Parkland web calendar for all the latest information.
September 9, 2021
SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED ON THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, for a TEACHER PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT DAY.
5 THINGS TO KNOW FOR THE WEEK AHEAD
1. The Parkland High School Virtual Open House is this evening. Grab your child's schedule and some popcorn and watch all of the teacher welcome videos. A link to the videos will come to PHS parent via email today.
2. SCHOOL PICTURE DAYS are starting! Mark your calendar for your school's picture day so that you lay out that special outfit the day before. All are listed on the Parkland web calendar.
3. The first HOME football game is tomorrow night at the Parkland Football Stadium located next to Orefield Middle School. Tickets are $5 for adults, $3 for students, and senior citizens 62+ along with military get in free with ID. CASH ONLY IS ACCEPTED. Cheer on the Trojans as they take on Nazareth!
4. Monday, September 13, is the instrument pickup date for all students who are renting instruments. Pickups will occur at Springhouse Middle School (1200 Springhouse Rd.), 6-7:30 PM, for all students in the Parkland School District.
5. The Parkland Education Foundation has two big events coming up! A Parent University Program on September 22 that all parents of teens will not want to miss and a Golf Outing at Brookside Country Club with signups due on September 22. More info about both programs is here.
September 16, 2021
- Parkland School District will conduct the annual Safe2Say Something training for 6th-12th grade students on Monday, September 20, 2021. The purpose of this annual training is to create basic awareness of the Safe2Say Something anonymous tip reporting system. Read the full parent notice here.
2. The Parkland Newsletter Fall Edition has just been released. Look inside for a District-wide updates including the Message from the Superintendent, the return of Senior Citizen classes, student spotlights, a recap of where the Class of 2021 is headed, and much more!
3. Parkland Parent University returns this year with Supporting Overwhelmed Teens with Love, Laughter, and the Science of Resilience - a live webinar on Wednesday, September 22, at 6 PM, that all teen parents won't want to miss. You will be able to ask questions of the presenter right from the comfort of your home. Dr. Bradley will be joining us live from the PHS TV Studio. Bookmark this page to tune in live... and if you miss it, you'll also be able to re-watch it here.
4. Recreational Programs are getting underway and we've started to collect registration information for scouts, sports, the arts and more. Visit our Recreational Programs page for more info and if you want to submit anything for the page, there are directions at the top on how to do so.
5. Need assistance with rent, food, Wi-Fi or other items? Visit our Community Resource Page for upcoming events and local resources that can help in times of need.
1. NEW CALLER ID for DISTRICT CALLS - Effective immediately, any calls sent through Schoolmessenger, the District's Rapid Notification System, will appear with a new caller ID number which is 1-866-783-1413. It will appear as SCHOOLMESSENGER 1-866-783-1413 on your phones (instead of a 610-xxx-xxxx number) when your phone is ringing. If a person misses a call and calls the number back, the automated system will allow the caller to listen to the last 10 messages that were sent to that phone number from Parkland School District or a Parkland school.
2. MIDDLE SCHOOL FALL SOCIALS are happening on Friday night in lieu of the Dances at OMS and SMS. OMS will be on the football stadium that night and SMS will be at the PHS Turf for games, fun and social time outdoors! Make sure you get tickets at lunch time, which are $5. Both events will take place on Friday, September 24, 6-7:30 PM.
3. The KINDNESS CRUSADE that we had intended to occur next Saturday, October 2nd, has been postponed to the spring. Stay tuned for a new date!
4. St. Luke’s YESS! (Your Emotional Strength Supported!) School-based Therapy 5-part webinar series - Looking for some tips to help your child/students throughout the school year? Consider registering for the YESS! 5-part webinar series! Get tips on how to handle COVID-related concerns, how to recognize when children need some mental health help, or dealing with anxiety. And, if you missed last night's Parent University Program that was focused on Teen Parenting, you can check on the recorded session at the bottom of the page here.
5. Parkland football is away this week with a Saturday night (7:30 PM) game at J. Birney Crum against Central Catholic. Next Friday, October 1, the HOME Football Game will be a PINK OUT event in support of breast cancer research. Make sure to wear pink for the game! It’s also SHIRT OFF YOUR BACK NIGHT when senior students honor an adult who helped them along their journey. Don’t miss the Trojans against Whitehall that night!
The free livestream sports schedule for the next week includes:
Friday - volleyball 4:30 PM
Saturday - boys soccer 9:AM
Monday - girls soccer 7 PM
Tuesday - field hockey 7 PM
Wed - boys soccer 7 PM
Thursday - volleyball 7 PM
Friday - football 7 PM
september 30, 2021
1. The Parkland Food Service Department is hiring! We’re seeking people to work 4 hours per day at $15.69 per hour OR to be put on our Food Services substitute list to work only on days that you want to. Be part of a team, serve students nutritious meals, and go home knowing that you helped a child today. Working here will be THE BEST PART OF YOUR DAY! Visit the Parkland website or www.parklandsd.org/jobs to apply. We’re also seeking subs to cover the elementary school playground aides and other positions that range from 2.5 hours – 7.5 hours per day. If you’d like to apply to be put on our substitute list for any position, we’d welcome you to call Human Resources at 610-351-5530.
2. PHS Virtual Financial Aid Night – PHS will be holding a Virtual Parent Forum on October 6th about Planning for College Financial Aid. Greg Mitton, Director of Financial Aid at Muhlenberg College, will be presenting. The program will last from 7 pm to approximately 8:00/8:15 pm. Click here for the Zoom Webinar link Webinar ID: 910 2627 5810 Passcode: 237024
3. Get your Tickets to Stage Door – the PHS Fall Play Opens October 8! The show is called Stage Door and tickets are on sale now for the in-person production! Visit this page to see the cast list, buy tickets to the show (with socially distanced reserved seating) and read a description about the show: https://www.parklandsd.org/departments/arts/ticket-information.
4. All Parkland Schools will be closed on Monday, October 11.
5. October is Lockdown Drill Month - please read this letter for important details.
Don't forget, tomorrow night at the football game is:
OCTOBER 7, 2021
1. Homecoming Week is next week (starting Tuesday since ALL SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED ON MONDAY):
Spirit Week is happening all week at PHS with special dress up days. PHS Clubs will be building Homecoming Parade Floats on Friday and they will parade them at halftime during Friday's Football Game. At the HOMECOMING GAME on October 15, Parkland REACH will be collecting cranberry sauce, instant mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, corn and stuffing to help put Thanksgiving meals on tables for any Parkland family in need. Please consider donating an item upon entrance to the BIG game. The Homecoming Dance will be on the PHS Turf Field from 6-8 PM when the Homecoming King & Queen will be announced! PHS Homecoming dance tickets will be sold during lunches Oct. 7-15th in the cafeteria. $10 in advance, pre-sale tickets only. No tickets will be sold on Homecoming night. Parkland Students ONLY. LCTI students may purchase Homecoming dance tickets 7:15-7:30am in the A Wing lobby Oct. 12-15th or during lunches in the cafeteria.
2. A Parkland Homecoming tradition, the Annual Garter Bowl game begins at 6 PM at the OMS Stadium on Wednesday ($5 at the door). Come to cheer for your favorite class of athletes. It's always a lot of fun and proceeds raised will go to Parkland REACH which connects Parkland families to resources and provides food, clothing and school supply assistance when families are struggling.
3. Stage Door opens tomorrow on the PHS Stage. Did you know that Tony-nominated Michael McDonald helped put together the costumes for this stage show? Visit this page to see the cast list, buy tickets to the show (with socially distanced reserved seating) and read a description about the show: https://www.parklandsd.org/departments/arts/ticket-information.
4. The IRS estimates that about 75,000 Pennsylvania children who may be eligible to be claimed for the expanded and newly-advanceable Child Tax Credit have not been claimed on a recent tax return. This means that these Pennsylvania residents could be losing out on approximately $226,000,000 in Child Tax Credits. It's not too late for families to sign up for advance child tax credit payments. The Non-filer Sign-up tool is available until October 15, 2021.
5. Parkway Manor invites the entire school community to their Food Truck & Book Fair Night next Wednesday, October 13, 5:30 - 7:30 PM. Bring a picnic blanket and eat on their beautiful outdoor grounds.
OCTOBER 14, 2021
1. IT'S HOMECOMING WEEK! PHS Clubs will be building Homecoming Parade Floats on Friday and they will parade them at halftime during Friday's Football Game. At the HOMECOMING GAME on October 15, Parkland REACH will be collecting cranberry sauce, instant mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, corn and stuffing to help put Thanksgiving meals on tables for any Parkland family in need. Please consider donating an item upon entrance to the BIG game. The Homecoming Dance will be on the PHS Turf Field from 6-8 PM when the Homecoming King & Queen will be announced!
2. DIGITAL CITIZENSHIP WEEK IS OCTOBER 18-22: Students are online more than ever before, so teaching them how to use technology thoughtfully and responsibly is an essential part of their social and emotional development and academic success. Digital Citizenship Week is the perfect time to re-engage students around how technology impacts their lives, and how they can use technology to make a positive impact in the lives of others. Parent resources are available on this Common Sense landing page. Don't forget the great set of resources we have on our Parkland DigCit page as well!
3. REMEMBER TO VIEW REPORT CARDS - It's hard to be believe, but the first of six marking periods ended for our Middle Schoolers yesterday (elementary and high school are on a four marking period cycle, so they still have a couple more weeks before their marking periods end)! Report Cards will be published in HAC next Thursday, October 21, 2021, by 2:30 PM.
4. EARLY DISMISSAL Next Friday, October 22, all Parkland Schools will dismiss early. Parkland High School and both middle schools will dismiss at 1 PM. Elementary Schools will dismiss at 1:45 PM - please plan to retrieve young children from the school bus 1 hour and 45 minutes earlier than usual.
5. October is THANK A PRINCIPAL month! Everyone knows that Parkland has great teachers, but have you ever thought about our principals? Great principals lead with heart, but must stand firm on policy and procedures with the health and safety of staff and students always top of mind. Our leaders take responsibility for school success, lead teaching and learning, help build a strong school community, and hire, mentor and retain excellent teachers! We are so thankful to our entire Principal staff and encourage you to send an email of thanks to our building leaders this month!
OCTOBER 21, 2021
1. COME TEACH WITH US Parkland is seeking Substitute Teachers! A valid teacher certificate is required. Please plan to join our Substitute Teacher Job Fair on Nov 3rd. Call the Human Resources Office to reserve your spot at 610-351-5530. More information about daily substitute positions is available here.
2. KICKBALL TOURNAMENT – Oct 23 at PHS at 2:30 PM Join Parkland Field Hockey in raising Down Syndrome Awareness with a FUN community kickball game at the PHS turf field behind Parkland High School! All event and concessions proceeds benefit Special Olympics in honor and memory of Anthony Kyvelos, a member of the Parkland Girls’ Field Hockey family. Bring a team (9-10 people) or come yourself and join a team when you arrive. No pre-registration is required! $5 to enter and crazy socks are provided upon entry (to wear on World Down Syndrome Awareness Day in March). All ages are welcome.
1. PHS NHS UNHAUTED HOUSE on Oct 27 5:30 - 7 PM Parkland's NHS students are pleased to announce the return of our "Unhaunted House" for elementary students in grades K-3. PHS National Honor Society students welcome K-3 students for a night of stories, games, slime, face painting, treats, pumpkin decorating and more! Children should come in costume and meet outside the front/main entrance of Parkland High School. A donation of $4 is suggested to help defray some of the expenses.
4. Schoology VIRTUAL PARENT WORKSHOP on Oct 28 at 7 PM Have you ever asked your child “what did you learn in school today?” They may have answered “nothing,” and you know that’s not true. But how can you ask better questions to improve that interaction? Enter the Schoology Parent Portal. Get a deeper view of the topics being covered in class, notifications on due dates, assignments & projects, and feedback from teachers. Schoology’s Parent Portal is the best place to keep up to date. Every Parkland parent already has an account, but if you need help signing in, email HAC@parklandsd.org and we'll help. This session will show you how to log in and navigate the platform, including setting up the mobile app on your smartphone. Fill out this form in advance to make sure your questions get answered. Google Meet link for the meeting is: meet.google.com/unr-zmij-gp.
5. MIDDLE SCHOOL FALL PLAYS - OMS and SMS have fall plays debuting October 28th. Orefield will be presenting "My Two-Tailed Halloween Cat" and Springhouse will debut "All I Really Need Know I Learned from Being a Zombie." All seating is $7 at the door in the respective school auditoriums. Show times at OMS are Oct 28 at 7 PM, October 30 at 2 and 7 PM and at SMS Oct 28 at 7 PM, Oct 30 at 2 PM and Oct 31 at 2 PM. All attendees must wear masks and observe social distancing.
OCTOBER 28, 2021
1. DISTRICT PLAYOFFS - TODAY is a big day for high school sports! The PHS Girls' Volleyball team is playing in the District Semifinals against Liberty - you must purchase a ticket for this event online at http://ow.ly/bRik50GzyU8. District Playoffs begin today for Field Hockey and Girls' and Boys' soccer with games being held at the Parkland turf field (3, 5, and 7 PM). These events are FREE of charge! The Cross Country team will have their District meet at DeSales University today and this event is also FREE. Come cheer on your favorite athletes and show your #ParklandPride!
2. PODCAST LAUNCH - Dr. Mark Madson launched the Superintendent's #ParklandPride Podcast this week. In the first episode, he sits down with Assistant Superintendents Dr. Rodney Troutman and Dr. Michelle Minotti. Check it out here: https://dr-madsons-parkland-pride-podcast.simplecast.com/episodes/episode-1-meet-the-superintendents
3. Tomorrow night is the last HOME Football game for the regular season. It is also SENIOR NIGHT and the Trojans will take on the Emmaus Hornets. Let's show them some love by attending the game! It's a WHITE OUT in the Trojan Pack, so Parkland fans should wear WHITE. Tickets are available at the gate and the game starts at 7 PM! Tickets are $5 for adults, $3 for students, and senior citizens 62+ along with military get in free with ID. CASH ONLY IS ACCEPTED.
4. Schoology VIRTUAL PARENT WORKSHOP is TONIGHT at 7 PM - Everything you have always wanted to know about SCHOOLOGY will be answered tonight! This session will show you how to log in and navigate the platform, including setting up the mobile app on your smartphone. Fill out this form in advance to make sure your questions get answered. Google Meet link for the meeting is: meet.google.com/unr-zmij-gp. It will be available to view after the event here: https://www.parklandsd.org/community/parent-programs
5. HALLOWEEN WEEKEND IS A BUSY ONE IN PARKLAND - OMS and SMS have fall plays debuting tonight through the rest of the weekend. All seating is $7 at the door. Show times at OMS are Oct 28 at 7 PM, October 30 at 2 and 7 PM and at SMS Oct 28 at 7 PM, Oct 30 at 2 PM and Oct 31 at 2 PM. South Whitehall Township and North Whitehall Township have announced that they are moving Trick or Treating to Sunday, October 31, 6-8 PM. As of this time, Upper Macungie has not yet made a decision... Check their website and social media for updates! The PHS Homecoming Dance is ON for tomorrow night, but will be moving indoors. PHS students and families should check Schoology for the details!
HAVE A SAFE AND HAPPY HALLOWEEN!
November 4, 2021
1. Veterans Day Car Parade - Parkland Veterans are invited to drive through a Car Parade that will start at Veterans Memorial Elementary School and end at Fred J. Jaindl Elementary School on Tuesday, November 11. Students will be learning about various branches of government and honoring parade attendees through song and other surprises. Click on the flyer for all of the details and be sure to register yourselves, your friends, loved ones or neighbors to be honored. The Registration deadline is this Tuesday, November 9th.
3. A COVID-19 Vaccination Clinic for 5-11 year olds will be held at Parkland High School on November 19th which is also an Early Dismissal Day. Stay tuned for an email that will include a registration link to sign up for a shot between 2-5 PM that afternoon with second doses being administered on December 10 from 3:30 - 6:30 PM.
4. Daylight Savings Time Ends this weekend, so remember to set your clocks back an hour on Sunday morning.
5. Athletic Playoffs - This has been a banner fall season with Girls' Volleyball clinching the District XI Championship win this week and Girls' Field Hockey, Boys' and Girls' Soccer all heading into District Finals this week with a guarantee that they will also compete in States next week. Plus, four Cross Country athletes (Paul Abeln, Elena Wenger, Jessica Price and Gracie Trexler) are competing at the State Meet this Friday. The PHS Football team will play their first playoff game at home tomorrow night. Best of luck to all of the Trojans - and if you want to attend games, click here for tickets/times/locations. Note that all District game tickets must be purchased in advance - no tickets available at the gate.
November 11, 2021
Happy Veterans Day! Check out Parkland School District's Facebook page for a recap of many wonderful events that occurred in our schools today to honor our local heroes.
2. A Virtual LVHN Parent Information Session Regarding the COVID-19 Vaccine for 5-11 Year Olds will be held on November 17th at 5:30 PM. Register at www.LVHN.org/parentsessions. There are still some spots left for the 5-11 year old vaccine clinic at Parkland High School on November 19th.
3. Elementary Early Dismissals start next Thursday and last for a full week as our staff meets and greets parents during Parent Conference Week. Please prepare for elementary children to arrive home one hour and 45 minutes earlier than usual from November 18 - 24.
4. Athletic Playoffs - Tomorrow night, the PHS Football team will play Emmaus at home for their 2nd District playoff game. Click here for tickets - no tickets available at the gate. Girls' Volleyball will advance in the State Tournament on Saturday vs. Cumberland Valley @ Exeter High School at 10:30 AM. Click here for tickets - no tickets available at the door.
WINTER SPORTS BEGIN NOVEMBER 19th!
5. Trojan Alumni Club 70th Anniversary Celebration - Members of the Parkland Trojan Alumni Club are made up of varsity letter winners and any person interested in supporting Parkland athletics. On December 9, 2021, the Club will celebrate its 70th anniversary at Iron Lakes Country Club. The Trojan Alumni Club has a history of supporting Parkland athletics and providing scholarships for student athletes. Anyone interested in attending the banquet can contact club secretary Charlene Miller at (610)704-7251 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit parklandtrojanalumnivarsityclub.com.
November 24, 2021
Schools are CLOSED
Thursday, November 25 – Monday, November 29.
- Superintendent’s Thanksgiving Message – Click here to view a 1-minute message of Thanksgiving from Superintendent Dr. Madson.
- PHS Student Store Will be Open for Holiday Shopping – What's the best gift for any person on your holiday shopping list? Parkland Swag of course! The PHS School Store (located just inside the cafeteria entrance) will be open for holiday shoppers on Saturday, December 11th and Saturday, December 18th from 10 AM-1 PM. From water bottles and t-shirts to ties and hoodies, you are sure to find the perfect gift! CASH AND CHECKS ONLY! No credit or debit cards will be accepted.
- Gift Card sale - Thank a staff member with the annual Holiday Staff Tribute Gift Card Sale! Purchase a $10 gift card for your favorite teacher or staff member and we will deliver the gift cards directly to them with your personal message. All you have to do is click on this link to pay for and place your order(s) and include your personal gift message. We'll do the rest!
- Children’s Theatre Workshop - The Parkland High School Performing Arts Club is pleased to offer its annual Children’s Theatre Workshop on January 15 and 16! Register by December 3rd to reserve your spot by filling out the form and mailing in payment.
- St. Luke’s presents "Holidays, Kids and Mental Health - Dealing with School Refusal and Social Anxiety" on November 30th at 6 PM - Registration for this virtual event is required here.
Travel Advisory – Thanksgiving is a popular time for travel. Please check the CDC’s Travel Guidelines before you go for helpful information.
December 2, 2021
1. Parkland, like many employers across the country, is experiencing a worker shortage in several areas, but one that we need to bring your attention to now is in Transportation. There may be days in the future where we can't source enough drivers to cover all of the early morning runs to PHS, OMS and/or SMS. For this reason, we want to make parents aware that a phone call could come in from the District around 6 AM on any given day that will announce a 60-90-minute delay in transportation to SMS, OMS or PHS on a particular bus. The bus runs will be rotated so that this should only affect a particular student one time. Students will be able to make up any missed work in a similar manner as if they had a doctor's appointment. Please make sure that your contact information is up to date with your school's main office. Thank you for your patience.
2. Snow Day Guidance - the first snowflakes are in the air and you may be wondering about future snow days! Click here for the guidance related to how we will handle the next snow day and how Flexible Instructional Days may come into play this year.
3. Parkland is celebrating Computer Science Week with an Hour of Code Event - The week begins on Monday and we've compiled a list of great spots on the web where children can dive deeper into the world of computer science or attend Parkland's own virtual event. Get all the details here.
4. Dr. Madson's Superintendent Podcast Episode #3 entitled PHS101 is available now! Listen here to learn all about what it is like to be a student today inside Parkland High School. Special thanks to Principal Moniz and the students above for participating in the conversation (from left to right): Rishika Rohatgi, Demi Olatilo, Jack Brubacher, and Emily Bachl.
5. PHS Student Store Will be Open for Holiday Shopping – Dec 11 and 18, 10 AM-1 PM. CASH AND CHECKS ONLY! No credit or debit cards will be accepted. The Staff Tribute Gift Card sale is open through Dec 13! Purchase a $10 gift card for your favorite teacher or staff member and the Parkland Education Foundation will deliver the gift cards directly to them with your personal message. Click on this link to pay for and place your order(s).
Parents/Guardians received an email to participate in a BrightBytes Technology survey this past Wednesday. The email is legitimate, and we encourage you to participate in the survey so that we can gather information about tech needs and resources that are available at home for our students. Thank you!
DECEMBER 9, 2021
1. Today, Dec. 9, Schnecksville Elementary School is hosting a free clothing event for our community! Come to their Kindness Kloset and "shop" for gently used clothes for children and adults. Please bring your own bag! The event will be 5-7 PM at Schnecksville Elementary.
2. Middle School report cards are now available on Home Access Center. You can access it here: http://pldhomeaccess.spihost.com Lost your user name and password for HAC? Please email HAC@parklandsd.org for assistance.
3. The Parkland High School Chorale's annual community concert at Union UCC in Neffs will be held on Sunday, December 12th, at 7 PM. This concert is free and open to the public, however, this year we are limiting capacity to 250 individuals. This year’s concert will be a ticketed event; everyone must have a ticket to enter the concert. Tickets are free but need to be obtained prior to the concert. Tickets can be requested by emailing Mr. Anonia at email@example.com. Neffs Union UCC also has a bank of tickets to give out to community members; these tickets will be distributed on a first come, first serve basis.
4. Snow Day Guidance - the first snowflakes are in the air and you may be wondering about future snow days! Click here for the guidance related to how we will handle the next snow day and how Flexible Instructional Days may come into play this year.
5. PHS Student Store Will be Open for Holiday Shopping – Dec 11 and 18, 10 AM-1 PM. CASH AND CHECKS ONLY! No credit or debit cards will be accepted. The Staff Tribute Gift Card sale is open through Dec 13! This is a hard deadline. Purchase a $10 gift card for your favorite teacher or staff member and the Parkland Education Foundation will deliver the gift cards directly to them with your personal message. Click on this link to pay for and place your order(s). Want to help families in need? Consider making a donation to Parkland REACH, a committee of volunteer Parkland staff, who will be delivering boxes of food and holidays meals to 75 Parkland families in need to help them get through Winter Break. Thank you for your generosity!
December 16, 2021
1. Winter Break begins next Friday, December 24 - Sunday, January 2. Parkland Schools will be closed over break and reopen on Monday, January 3, 2021.
2. The PHS Student Store Will be Open for Holiday Shopping on Friday, Dec 17, 3:30 - 7 PM. Note that the sale has been canceled for Saturday, Dec 18, so this is the last opportunity to shop for family members for the holidays. CASH AND CHECKS ONLY! No credit or debit cards will be accepted.
3. Course Selection Meetings will occur for next year's 7-12th grade students during the first weeks in January. Please make sure you check communication from your building principals for dates, times and information about virtual and in-person opportunities to connect with our staff to help your family decide on courses for next year.
4. Want to help Parkland families in need? Consider making a donation to Parkland REACH, a committee of volunteers who are also on the Parkland staff, who will be delivering boxes of food and holidays meals to 75 Parkland families in need to help them get through Winter Break. Thank you for your generosity!
5. The PHS Winter Orchestra Concert is the last winter concert to take place on the PHS stage in 2021 and will occur on Tues, December 21 at 7 PM. If you have missed hearing our amazing high school musicians, please join us in the PHS auditorium for wonderful sounds of the season. The concert is free and open to the public.
January 7, 2022
1. The Parkland School District Winter Newsletter is here. Look inside for a student spotlight on Jesse Khalil, profiles of our National Merit Semifinalists, Superintendent Dr. Madson's message to the community, Kindergarten registration information, new PHS course offerings and more. The PHS January Newsletter also debuted this week and is starting to be distributed to 8th grade families as they get ready for high school. If there is one publication high school parents need to read, it's the monthly newsletter. Find it here.
2. PHS Course Selection for 8-11th graders – Students in grades 9-11 have until Sunday, January 16th to select courses for next year. 8th graders have until the end of January to make their selections. PHS has provided these presentations for families to review together to make their choices.
Class of 2023 – 2025 Virtual Course Registration Parent Meeting: https://tinyurl.com/PHSvirtualparentnight
Class of 2026/8th grade presentation: https://youtu.be/vkZikS9LiNU
3. Low Cost Home Internet - On December 31, the FCC launched the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) to provides eligible households with a discount on broadband service and connected devices. This program provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward the Internet for eligible households. Learn if you qualify for the program and how to apply at https://acpbenefit.org/.
4. Updated Health Screener Tools include newly released guidelines from the Department of Health that were released this week to illustrate what it means to be fully vaccinated in section 4 of our Health Screening Tools for Students and Staff.
5. Our website host and provider, Finalsite, experienced a disruption of certain computer systems on its network which impacted thousands of schools worldwide. At this time, they are working to fully restore all sites. While District and School sites can be viewed, some content and modules may still be undergoing restoration. We appreciate your patience as they work around the clock to fully restore operations.
January 14, 2022
1. NO SCHOOL MONDAY/EARLY DISMISSAL FRIDAY - In observance of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, there is no school on Monday, January 17. Next Friday, January 21, all schools will dismiss early. PHS/OMS/SMS dismiss at 1 PM and Elementary Schools dismiss at 1:45 PM.
2. INCLUDE THIS NUMBER in CONTACTS for DISTRICT CALLS - All calls sent through Schoolmessenger, the District's Rapid Notification System, will come from 1-866-783-1413, but this number does not always appear in your caller ID unless you save it to CONTACTS. Please add this number to your CONTACTS in your address book to avoid having SPAM or something else display on your phone. If you miss the call and call the number back, the automated system will allow you to listen to the message.
3. The Parkland Board of School Directors is seeking applicants for a vacancy on the Board. Applications are due today by 4 PM. View the application here.
4. POST PROM is one of the most important safety events of the year. Teenagers are at a higher risk to engage in drinking and driving on Prom Night. Therefore, our PHS Post Prom Committee is planning an amazing ALL NIGHT PARTY filled with fun, safe entertainment for our Senior Class and we are so thankful to have Heintzelman Funeral Home as our title sponsor to help offset costs. Will you consider a contribution? Donate here or consider a marketing sponsorship here.
5. Martin Luther King Jr. Day is Monday. Check out these resources from the Volunteer Center of the Lehigh Valley for some ways you and your family can get out and serve this great community and honor his legacy: https://www.volunteerlv.org/mlk.
January 20, 2022
1. EARLY DISMISSAL FRIDAY - Tomorrow, Friday, January 21, 2022 will be an early dismissal day for ALL Parkland Schools. The High School and Middle Schools will dismiss at 1 PM and all elementary schools will dismiss at 1:45 PM. If you have an elementary student, please plan to be at the bus stop 1 hour and 45 minutes earlier than usual after school or plan for the care of your child.
2. YESS PROGRAM on 1/25 - The third installment of the YESS! School Based-Therapy Parent Program Series will take place virtually on Tuesday, January 25, 2022, at 6 PM. “New Year, New You: Tips for families and teachers to make emotional resolutions that will stick” will be presented by Andrea Wetzel, LPC, School-Based Psychotherapist and Carmen Tirado-Guzman, MA School-based Psychotherapist. Click here to register and for more information or questions, please contact Denise Vaiana at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. MATH WEEK - January 24-28, 2022, is Parkland Elementary Schools Math Week! Join us as we enjoy games and stories that delight all ages - all from the comfort of your home! Math Week kicks off with our virtual Math Game Night on January 24th (we have more than 800 families registered to participate!) followed by a full week of math fun that you can find here. Parkland School District’s Math Week Goal is for families to enjoy math games and stories, offered in both English and Spanish, for 200,000 total minutes through the website activities or by playing ST Math games (found by logging into Clever).
4. BASKETBALL DOUBLE HEADER: On Tuesday, January 25th, the Allentown Central Catholic Vikings, and the Parkland Trojans will join forces to raise awareness and money for the Pediatric Cancer Foundation of the Lehigh Valley (PCFLV). Come enjoy an incredible night of EPC Basketball and help the Vikings and the Trojans support Lehigh Valley pediatric cancer patients! Special T-shirts for this event are being sold during high school lunch periods for $10 and the event – while supplies last. At the games, look for a 50/50 and basket raffle! Come cheer on your Trojans and help raise funds for a wonderful, local charity! The games will take place at Parkland High School, with Girls’ JV playing at 4 PM, Girls’ Varsity at 5:30 PM, and Boys’ Varsity at 7 PM.
5. PODCAST EPISODE #4: Middle School Life in Parkland - Dr. Mark Madson sits down with Principals Mr. Todd Gombos of Orefield Middle School and Dr. Jude Sandt of Springhouse Middle School and two 8th grade students, Cecilia Kleckner and Kayla Nembo, to discuss what middle school life is like at school. Check it out and subscribe to the podcast here: https://dr-madsons-parkland-pride-podcast.simplecast.com/
January 27, 2022
1. Middle School Report Cards – Middle School report cards will be available to review in HAC starting tomorrow, 1/28/22 at 2:30 PM. If you need assistance with logging into HAC, please email HAC@parklandsd.org for help. Note: Elementary and PHS report cards will post the following Friday on February 4th.
2. Lockdown Drills – Annual School Lockdown Drills will occur in February. This notice is required under the provisions of Act 44 of 2018 for compliance and is required when we get audited. For additional information, please click here.
3. COVID Resources/Dashboard – All Health and COVID info has been moved under the new HEALTH SERVICES DEPARTMENT tab for easier access on the District website. From the HEALTH SERVICES PAGE, view the Coronavirus Resource tabs on the left for the HEALTH SCREENER TOOL, COVID DASHBOARD, and HEALTH & SAFETY PLAN. You can also find it on www.parklandsd.org, the main webpage, by hovering over DEPARTMENTS, then choosing HEALTH SERVICES.
4. Mama Mia – Parkland High School is pleased to announce that the spring musical will be MAMMA MIA!, April 20-24! MAMMA MIA! features the unforgettable music of ABBA to tell the hilarious story of a young woman’s search for her birth father. On the eve of her wedding, a daughter’s quest to discover the identity of her father brings three men from her mother’s past back to the island they last visited 20 years ago. The story-telling magic of ABBA’s timeless songs propels this enchanting tale of love, laughter, and friendship, creating an unforgettable show. MAMMA MIA! is packed with 22 ABBA hits, including Dancing Queen, Super Trouper, Take A Chance on Me, and The Winner Takes It All. This show is rated PG-13. Reserved seat tickets go on sale at 12 Noon on Tuesday, February 1st. For tickets and showtimes, click here. Tickets are $15 for adults and $12 for students & senior citizens (65+).
5. Link tree - Have you ever wondered how you can get an item featured on our social media pages? Check out Parkland's LinkTree where you can submit items to be featured on our social media pages. You can share community and PTO events to be advertised, share student accomplishments in academics, arts, and athletics, give a shout out to a favorite staff member, and more! Help us help you to share all things Parkland with our community.
February 4, 2022
Superintendent's #ParklandPride Podcast Episode #5 is here. Dr. Mark Madson sits down with School Board President David Hein and Vice President Carol Facchiano to talk about the role of a School Board Director, an important volunteer position in our community.
25th Anniversary of Mr. Parkland – Are you a past contestant? Past contestants are invited to complete a google doc and include a quick video of themselves answering a few questions about their experience. Parkland TV will be creating a compilation to help promote the show and during intermission at this year's show. Fill out the form here. The 25th show will be on February 12th in the PHS auditorium. Tickets are $10 and raise funds for the Class of 2022 Prom.
Parkland Trojan Pajama Pants Fundraiser – Are your children wearing PJ’s to school? While us parents may not love it, they might as well depict some school spirit! This Parkland PJ fundraiser will help us send our 8th graders to Camp Fowler this spring so that they can get to know members of the Class of 2026 from both middle schools and enjoy adventure in an outdoor, UNPLUGGED environment!
Free Physicals - Parkland will hold Free Spring Sports Physicals at Parkland High School on Saturday, February 12, in the Auxiliary Gym from 8 – 11:30 AM. Please click here to sign up for a time slot for a free physical. If your child has already had a physical this year and the form is on file with the athletic office, only a recertification form is needed to participate in a spring sport. More info is on our athletics page here.
Grades and Course Requests in HAC - Elementary and High School report cards will be available to review in HAC starting tomorrow, February 4, 2022 (middle school grades posted last week). Also in HAC, 8th Grade Course Requests are due this Sunday. As 8th graders, this is the first year they get to choose what courses they want to take at PHS. Parkland offers the greatest depth and breadth of curriculum in the region - there is something for everyone with more than 160 elective choices. If you need help logging into HAC, please email email@example.com. For a link to HAC, click here.
February 11, 2022
The Annual District-wide Food Drive starts next week. Please consider sending in a contribution so that we can make an impact as an entire community! The graphic above displays what each building is collecting. All food will benefit Parkland REACH's weekly snack pack program and food pantries at SMS, OMS and PHS. Any excess food will be donated to Parkland CARES, a local food bank in our community.
5th Grade Parent Night is at OMS and SMS on February 16th at 7 PM. All 5th grade parents are invited to their child’s middle school for an informative program about making the transition to middle school. Science Fair projects will be on display that night as well. We hope you will join us at your child's middle school.
The 25th Anniversary of Mr. Parkland will occur at 7 PM on Saturday in the PHS Auditorium. This year’s celebrity judges include Andre Williams, former NFL Running Back and owner of AW Selvedge Denim; Landon Annoni, TikToker and fashion archivist; Red Tomato owner Shaadi Elias; and WFMZ’s Melanie Falcon. Tune in to the PHS Instagram account (https://www.instagram.com/parkland.trojans/) for live coverage from the student red carpet starting at 6:30 PM, brought to you by the Parkland Social Media Interns.
The Caron Foundation is offering “The Peak Performance: Student Athlete Prevention Program” for athletes, parents and coaches. The program focuses on the increased stress and performance anxiety that many student athletes face. To register for the free webinars coming up on February 22 and 24, click here. On February 28, The Lehigh Valley Youth Recovery Center, in partnership with The Center for Humanistic Change and Lehigh County Drug & Alcohol, will be hosting a free open house event from 5:30 - 8:30 PM. The event will include a tour, mock teenage bedroom (displaying typical secret hiding places - must be 18 or older to enter the bedroom), two Narcan training sessions with free Narcan (6 and 7 PM), and free medication lock boxes. The location is at 860 Broad St., Suite 104, Emmaus, PA.
Please mark your calendar for the President’s Day Holiday – Schools will be closed Feb 18-21.
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT ON MONDAY, MASKS ARE RECOMMENDED INSIDE PARKLAND FACILITIES BUT MASKS REMAIN REQUIRED ON ALL SCHOOL BUSES (AND ANY FORM OF TRANSPORTATION) PER A FEDERAL ORDER. MASKS ARE ALSO REQUIRED IN THE NURSE'S SUITE AND TRAINING ROOMS, SO ALL STUDENTS SHOULD CARRY ONE AT ALL TIMES.
February 17, 2022
Looking to create change and grow as a public speaker? Have a unique perspective you’d like to share? Apply to be a speaker at Parkland School District’s very first TEDx event! This event will be held on March 20th from 12-3 PM in the SMS auditorium, and centered around the theme “Building a Better World” through innovation, community service, increased awareness, etc. The speaker application is open to any middle or high school student in the Parkland School District and is due by February 27th at 11:59 PM. The link to the application can be found here: https://forms.gle/PsEcX7GFMe2U3R5g9. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Parkland’s Post Prom event, following prom itself, offers numerous activities at the high school for our seniors and their guests. It includes food, live entertainment, DJ, karaoke, coffee shop, laser tag, video games, inflatables, and prizes given away all night long. This parent volunteer committee is one of the best ways to get involved at Parkland. You can volunteer, make a donation or sponsor the event. We are thankful for Heintzelman Funeral Home who has donated $10,000 each year to support four events in a row for a total of $40,000! But, it doesn’t stop there. We need your help. Got a car to donate? We’d love to offer that as a prize! Got food to donate? We’ll take that too! It takes a village to pull off an all-night party for 1,000 teens. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Trojan Pajama Pants, T-shirts and Hoodie Fundraiser – Last Chance to get your PJ’s and other goods! This fundraiser is closing on February 25th.
The District-wide Food Drive is happening NOW – Next week is the last week to donate. Please give what you can to help our Parkland families in need.
FEBRUARY 24, 2022
District XI tickets – District Playoffs begin this weekend for winter sports. All tickets must be purchased online and are $7 here.
The Middle School musicals take center stage at OMS and SMS next week! Orefield Middle School will perform Seussical JR. March 3 & 4 at 7 PM and March 5 at 2 PM & 7 PM. Springhouse Middle School will perform Dear Edwina JR. March 3 & 4 at 7 PM and March 5 & 6 at 2 PM. Tickets are $7 and available for purchase at the door 1 hour prior to show time. For more information about the cast, crew and shows, click here.
10th Annual World Language Week kicks off next week with a Door Decorating Contest at PHS and events all week long that celebrate world cultures and language. Check out what’s on the week’s agenda here!
Inclusion Week – Next week, we celebrate Spread the Word Day with Inclusion Week at PHS.
Monday is a Yo Fresh on Broadway Donation night - Mention PALS Club when you order.
Tuesday and Thursday - Bracelets and Inclusion T-shirts will be sold during all lunches.
Wednesday- at Coffee House, PALS will be there with a Pledge Banner to Include all Individuals of all Abilities. There will also be a performance by Jesse Neiman, a student who is a member of PALS club.
Friday- Inclusion Dance for PALS club students at PHS 6-8 PM.
Proceeds from the week will be donated to the local Special Olympics and Miracle League in honor of Janice Laub.
Trojan Pajama Pants, T-shirts and Hoodie Fundraiser – Last Chance to get your PJ’s and other goods! This fundraiser is closing TOMORROW.
Next week, we will celebrate Read Across America Day – stay tuned for a special Parkland Reads Together announcement!
march 3, 2022
District Finals are this weekend for boys and girls basketball and swimming! All tickets must be pre-purchased online here. Also, the regional wrestling tournament is taking place at Liberty High School. Girls' Wrestling North Regional Tournament is happening at Parkland High School on Sunday, starting at 10:30 AM where you can expect to see competitors from approximately 60 schools. Tickets will be cash only at the door, $10 for adults and $5 for students. Good luck to all Trojans!
Parkland Reads Together was launched this week in observance of Read Across America Day. Every elementary student received a copy of the book—The World According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney—and is encouraged to read it together at home over the next few weeks. Along with the book, families can refer to the reading schedule to participate at home and access exciting Humphrey activities in the Parkland Reads Together virtual classroom found here.
PHS is offering a Spring SAT Prep course for current sophomores and juniors who choose to take the test this May or June. The course starts March 28, 2022. There will be two classes offered: one from 3-5 PM at Parkland High School and a virtual class from 6:30-8:30 PM. Both classes meet on Mondays and Wednesdays for a total of 10 sessions through May 4, 2022. The cost is $90 per student and includes an SAT Prep Book that participants can keep. Spots are limited, so register soon at https://forms.gle/x999oMjvAx2uvzKs7. Please email Janice McLeod with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scholarships and Job Opportunities for PHS students - It's scholarship and summer job hunting season for many seniors! Check out the Scholarship opportunities that Guidance has gathered for those seeking to attend college next year and also the Job Board for internships, jobs, and other opportunities for summer learning.
Our Annual Weather Preparedness Drills will occur in March for all schools. Please click here for more information.
march 10, 2022
All Parkland schools are closed tomorrow, March 11, 2022, for a Professional Development Day. We will be conducting a Parent Reunification Drill at Parkland High School, so if you see signs about this on the roadways, please note that it is part of a drill.
State Playoffs continue this upcoming week for girls' basketball (tomorrow night), wrestling (this weekend), diving (Tuesday), and swimming (Wednesday and Thursday). All tickets must be pre-purchased online here. Good luck to all Trojans!
It's time to nominate that special Parkland staff member or volunteer for a Superintendent's Parkland Pride Award! If you know someone who has gone above and beyond this year, please consider giving them a shout out here.
Kindergarten Registration is occurring now! If you know someone turning 5 by September 1st, please pass the message along to that child's parents to go here for registration instructions.
Middle School Dances at SMS and OMS will occur next Friday night. Tickets will be sold at all lunches next week for $5. No tickets will be sold at the door. In addition to dancing, there will be a 3 vs. 3 basketball tournament. Make sure to remind your middle schoolers to get their tickets.
Please remember to set your clocks one hour ahead this Sunday as Daylight Savings Time begins on March 13th.
march 17, 2022
PHS TEDx event - Parkland High School students will put on the first-ever Parkland TEDx event at Springhouse Middle School on Sunday, March 20, 2022, at 12 noon. This event is FREE for students, parents, and members of the Parkland community. Limited seating is available and can be reserved here. For the list of speakers and more information, click here.
Graduation Lawn Sign Sale - PHS Senior Lawn Signs are for sale! Order here. The deadline is May 18th. Signs will be available for pick up at PHS the week of May 23rd.
8th Grade Families - Did you pay yet for the Camp Fowler 8th Grade Field Trip? If not, please consider paying $35 this weekend if you are able so that we can figure out what amount of fundraising is still required. We are working on fundraising the balance so that every 8th grader is paid for, so we are trying to project what is still needed. You can see all the details and make a payment at https://www.parklandsd.org/schools/middle-schools/camp-fowler.
Parkland’s Got Talent, a community-wide talent show, is part of the Parkland Annual Festival of the Arts and is happening on Friday, May 20th, at PHS. If you or someone you know has a talent to showcase, please apply to be a part of the show. The deadline for submissions is May 2, 2022.
WE NEED YOU! PHS Post Prom is in need of donated baked goods and volunteers. Can you sign up to bake cookies or volunteer? the event is on the night of May 7th. Let's band together as a community and help our Senior Class have a GREAT ONE LAST NIGHT TOGETHER!
march 24, 2022
We’re working with art teachers and students to develop a new mural for the Parkland Administration Center that will welcome visitors. Part of this project will include a wall space that describes Parkland through the eyes of Parkland students, staff and community members. To help with the project, we'd love your input on what makes Parkland special. Give us your input at here.
Summer Camps webpage – We have updated many local and regional summer camp and summer learning opportunities on the Parkland website. Check them out here. If you'd like us to add a camp, please fill out the form on this webpage and note CAMPS in the comments section.
Girls Who Code Club - This year there will be a Virtual Girls Who Code club available to ALL girls in grades 5 through 8 who would like to learn more about coding. No experience required! There will be activities available for beginners to advanced students, led by Girls Who Code PHS student leaders Uma Purani, Reva Gandhi and Aishwarya Suresh. The VIRTUAL sessions will run from 4:15 - 5:15 PM weekly on Thursdays, March 31 - May 26, 2022. Please complete the form by Tuesday, March 29, 2022, if you are interested in participating.
Parkland Education Foundation Distinguished Alumni Celebration 2022 – This year’s Distinguished Alumni have been announced and they will be celebrated at the 10th Anniversary reception on May 5, 2022. Check out this webpage for details about the amazing alumni and how you can attend, sponsor or donate an auction item for the event. Contact Lisa Ervin at email@example.com with any questions.
Parkland Parent University - the fourth program in the five-part series is designed to help parents recognize when their child may need help with emotional wellness and will be offered virtually on March 29, 2022, at 6:00 PM. It will be presented by: Julie Morgano, LCSW, School-Based Psychotherapist and Angelina Moncoeur LBS, LPC, School-Based Psychotherapist. Registration information is here.
MARCH 31, 2022
The Spring District-wide Newsletter is here. Check it out for important updates, interesting content, and a list of upcoming events.
Tomorrow is April 1st! April means the beginning of Parkland's amazing performing arts spring season. Mamma Mia! is coming to the main stage in just 3 weeks. Tickets are selling fast, so make sure to get yours today before we SELL OUT! Ticket and show information can be found here.
Episode #6 of Superintendent Dr. Mark Madson's Parkland Pride Podcast has been posted. Listen here for a glimpse inside Parkland Elementary Schools through the eyes of 5th grade students.
Graduation Lawn Signs are for sale for the Class of 2022. Signs are $25 each and you can get them here.
8th Graders are going to Camp Fowler for a new transitions retreat designed to help them get to know other incoming students and upperclassmen. Parents are asked to contribute to cost of the trip at this link if they have not done so already.
April 7, 2022
Spring Break is Next Weekend – All Parkland Schools are closed April 14 – April 18 in observance of Spring Break. Happy Easter, Passover, and Ramadan Mubarek!
Class of 2022 Timeline for Parents - It’s crunch time and there are so many important dates coming up for your Parkland Senior. Don’t miss any of them by checking out the Senior Parent Timeline! Class of 2023 - your timeline is just beginning. Believe it or not, Frank Mitman of Digital Imaging Photography is starting to book senior pictures in May 2022. Parents of rising seniors can call for an appointment: 610-433-2110.
Class of 2023 Dine to Donate Tonight - Don't let the rainy day get you down...make it a happy Thursday! Order out or eat in for a treat and support the Class of 2023! Be sure to mention PHS Class of 2023 at PJ Whelihan's Pub, 4595 Broadway, Allentown, PA 18104, ALL DAY TODAY.
Parkland Pride Awards - Time is running out. The deadline to nominate that special Parkland staff member or volunteer for a Superintendent's Parkland Pride Award is April 15th! If you know someone who has gone above and beyond this year, please consider giving them a shout out here.
Elem and PHS report cards – will be published in HAC on April 13 at 12 noon. Be sure to mark you calendars so that you can print them and hang them on your fridge. For help with HAC, email HAC@parklandsd.org. 😊
April 21, 2022
SO MUCH HAPPENING IN SPRING - Check out our web calendar and plan to join us for an upcoming concert or event. Also, please note that we have an early dismissal coming up next Friday, April 29. PHS/OMS/SMS dismiss at 1 PM and Elementary Schools dismiss at 1:45 PM.
IN THE NEWS - Parkland was in the news twice this week. The stories highlighted three stellar programs. Our Biomedical Science Program Symposium with pictures and videos of yesterday's knee dissection event with learning stations that covered a wide spectrum of medical careers and the PHS Science of Firefighting class designed to help foster the next generation of volunteer firefighters and emergency responders. Finally, Parkland was once again voted a Best Community for Music Education by the NAMM Foundation, a prestigious award enjoyed many times by this District.
MAMMA MIA! OPENING - The show opened last night and tickets are selling fast for upcoming shows. Get yours today before they sell out. The show runs through Sunday! Congrats to the cast and crew - your hard work has paid off!
PARKLAND ARTS FESTIVAL RETURNS WITH SPONSOR OPPORTUNITIES- The Visual and Performing Arts Department at Parkland is second to none and is the envy of school districts all across the state. We are so Parkland Proud of all of the resources and classes and opportunities that exist here. The district-wide 19th Annual Parkland Festival of the Arts showcases all of this talent and will return May 19-21, 2022, at Parkland High School after a two-year COVID hiatus. If you would like to sponsor the event, note that sponsor tables start at just $500. Sponsors enjoy various levels of signage at the event and can set up a a table to mingle with K-12 families at this District-wide event.
April 28, 2022
EARLY DISMISSAL FRIDAY - Tomorrow, Friday, April 29, 2022 will be an early dismissal day for ALL Parkland Schools. The High School and Middle Schools will dismiss at 1 PM and all elementary schools will dismiss at 1:45 PM. If you have an elementary student, please plan to be at the bus stop 1 hour and 45 minutes earlier than usual after school or plan for the care of your child.
The ANNUAL PARKLAND EDUCATION FOUNDATION AUCTION is LIVE ONLINE through 9 PM on Friday, May 6, 2022! Items include Graduation suite tickets, retro Parkland sports jerseys, a one-year RESERVED PHS parking space, Parkland athletic tickets, PHS student art, gift cards, Eagles, Iron Pigs, Velodrome and Dorney Park tickets, and a whole lot more! Thank you to all our Parkland School Staff and Superintendent Cabinet for donating fun-themed baskets as well! All money raised goes directly back to supporting Parkland students, staff and community via Celebrate Innovation Grants.
SHOE AND CLOTHING DRIVE May 7, 9 AM - 12 Noon at PHS – Clean out your closets and drop off your old Clothing/Shoes/Linens/Stuff Animals at PHS to support Parkland Music programs. See the complete list of what is being collected here.
PARKLAND'S EQUITY, INCLUSION AND BELONGING FORUM will take place on Tuesday, May 10, 8:30 - 10 AM in the Administration Center Board Room, 1210 Springhouse Rd, Allentown, PA. Parkland's leadership team will give an update on this year's initiatives and there will be a panelist discussion about the inclusion of Students with Special Needs in regular education classrooms and activities. Learn more here.
PARKLAND WALK-A-THON FOR PREMATURE BABIES will occur on May 14 - This event is open to Parkland families and friends. Walkers need to register in advance in order to participate in the event and to enter the PHS stadium.
SO MUCH IS HAPPENING IN SPRING - Check out our web calendar and plan to join us for an upcoming concert or event. Also, please note that next week is National Teacher Appreciation Week! Send an email, make a social media post, or do something nice to show your child's teachers how much you appreciate them!
MAY 5, 2022
The ANNUAL PARKLAND EDUCATION FOUNDATION AUCTION is LIVE ONLINE through 9 PM on Friday, May 6, 2022! Items include front row Graduation tickets to the year of your choice, tons of special merchandise, gift cards, trips and more!
HEALTH and WELLNESS SYMPOSIUM - The Parkland Student Services Department has lined up a jam-packed 3-hour workshop for parents on Saturday, May 14, 2022, at PHS from 9 AM - 2 PM that will address Social Media • Mindfulness • Current Drug Trends • Conflict Resolution • Avoiding Transition Trainwrecks • Dangers of Vaping • Using Yoga for Relaxation • Online Resources for Parents • Yoga for relaxation • Setting clear expectations at home • Anxiety. Register for the sessions you wish to attend here.
EPISODE #7 of the #PARKLANDPRIDE SUPERINTENDENT'S PODCAST - Why Do Local Businesses Choose to Support Parkland? Dr. Mark Madson, Superintendent, talks to Lisa Ervin, Executive Director of the Parkland Education Foundation, Nicole McGalla, Director of Community Relations and Development at Parkland, John Hauth, Senior Network Administrator at St. Luke's University Health Network, Erin Heintzelman, 4th Generation Funeral Director at Heintzelman Funeral Home and Treasurer of the Parkland Education Foundation, and Tori Morgan, Senior Project Manager, Entech Engineering and Vice President of the Parkland Education Foundation. The team discuss how businesses enhance the teaching and learning within Parkland Schools and how an investment in public education is an investment in our entire community. Listen to all episodes here.
PARKLAND'S EQUITY, INCLUSION AND BELONGING FORUM will take place on Tuesday, May 10, 8:30 - 10 AM in the Administration Center Board Room, 1210 Springhouse Rd, Allentown, PA. Parkland's leadership team will give an update on this year's initiatives and there will be a panelist discussion about the inclusion of Students with Special Needs in regular education classrooms and activities. Learn more here.
May 12, 2022
HEALTH and WELLNESS SYMPOSIUM - We have an amazing 3-hour Parent Workshop lined up for you this Saturday at PHS (please use Auditorium entrance). Click here to register to attend sessions on:
How to Talk to Your Children about Drugs and Alcohol
Navigating the Middle Years
Power of Self Talk
Trauma Sensitive Training
Question, Persuade, Respond Training
Sex Trafficking Risks to Youth
Parenting Tips on Mindfulness
Recognizing Healthy and Unhealthy Relationships with Teams
Social Media - please note that we also have the recorded session about the dangers of social media parent workshop that was presented in April 2022 posted here.
Festival of the Arts - a treasured tradition in Parkland! It all opens on Thursday with the Parkland High School Chorus Concerts and Art Show, continuing Friday with Parkland's Got Talent Show and rolls into Saturday's event on the front lawn of Parkland High School from 10 AM - 4 PM. Mark you calendar because this is one of the best district-wide events of the year! More info at: https://www.parklandsd.org/departments/arts/festival-of-the-arts
May 18th is the deadline to order your PHS senior a Graduation Lawn Sign. Order here. Signs will be available for pick up at PHS the week of May 23rd. Those who order will receive an email with exact pick-up instructions.
Free Fall Sports Physical Sign-ups are available for athletes in 6-11th grade who wish to try out for a fall sport. They will occur on Wednesday, June 8th. Sign up here and don't forget to fill out this form and bring it with you.
Late Starts at PHS & Early Dismissal for all schools next Friday - Parkland High School will operate on a modified schedule for Keystone Exams May 16-19, 23, & 24. On these dates, PHS will be operating on a 3-hour delay schedule to accommodate the needs of the standardized Keystone testing process. Specific information regarding this schedule was sent via Schoology on 4/26. Important to note is that Friday, May 20, is a district-wide early dismissal day (1 PM for secondary schools and 1:45 PM for Elementary Schools) and PHS will not run a 3-hour delay on that day.
MAY 19, 2022
FESTIVAL OF THE ARTS opens tonight with the FREE PHS Student Art Show from 6-8 PM and FREE PHS Chorus Concerts at 6:30 and 8 PM. Tomorrow night, we bring you the PARKLAND's GOT TALENT show in the PHS Auditorium at 7 PM. There is a $5 General Admission price to attend. Saturday's event is FREE to attend and will be held on the lawn of Parkland High School as well as inside the building. There will be music and dance performances, a K-12 Art Show, craft and arts vendors, food booths, free hands-on children's crafts, and so much more. Head over to our webpage to see the full schedule of events.
TEACHER TRIBUTE GIFT CARD SALE - Want to thank a teacher, bus driver or staff member for a great school year? The Staff Tribute Gift Card sale is open through May 30! Purchase a $10 gift card for your favorite teacher or staff member and the Parkland Education Foundation will deliver the gift cards directly to them with your personal message. Click on this link to pay for and place your order(s).
THE BEST PART OF YOUR DAY CAN BE WORKING WITH CHILDREN - Consider applying to drive a school bus next year. We provide FREE training, pay $135.81 per day and there is even an opportunity to earn a bonus. Our Transportation Office is taking applications through June 30. Get more information and learn how to apply here.
EARLY DISMISSAL FRIDAY, MAY 20 - PHS, OMS and SMS will dismiss at 1 PM and all Elementary Schools will dismiss at 1:45 PM (1 hour and 45 minutes earlier than usual).
FREE FALL SPORTS PHYSICALS - The PHS date is full, but for those who still want a Free Fall Sports Physical, St. Luke's is offering them at Coca Cola Park this summer on June 9, July 13 and July 28th. You can sign up from our Athletics webpage and don't forget to fill out this form and bring it with you.
MAY 26, 2022
Freddy Awards - The Freddy Awards, whose mission is to recognize and reward exceptional accomplishments in the production and performance of musical theater in high schools in Lehigh and Northampton Counties, Pennsylvania, and Warren County, New Jersey, are tonight LIVE at 7pm on 69 WFMZ-TV, WFMZ+ and WFMZ.com. Tune in to see the local high school musical awards. The PHS cast and crew of Mamma Mia! garnered 11 nominations (including Outstanding Overall Production of a Musical) and the cast will take the stage tonight for one last time to sing as an ensemble.
Athletic Playoffs - The Eastern Pennsylvania Conference (EPC) crowned champions in 8 sports this spring. Parkland captured 5 of those championships: Boys' Track, Girls' Track, Softball, Boys' Volleyball, and Boys' Tennis. In addition, the Baseball team captured the EPC West Division crown and the Girls' Track Team won the EPC Track Meet Championship trophy. District play and States continue this week. See the schedule above for upcoming matches and come out to cheer on our Trojans!
Last Day to Order Gift Cards is Memorial Day - May 30! Cross one more thing off your list and honor a staff member with a thank you message and gift - ALL ONLINE! The Parkland Education Foundation will deliver the gift card with your special sentiments during the last week of school. Click on this link to pay for and place your order(s).
Summer Cleaners needed - Parkland is hiring summer cleaners aged 16 and older and starting at $12.14/hour. The dates needed for cleaners are June 13th thru August 12th and include flexible hours and no weekends! Contact Barbra Ganguzza at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-351-5660 for more information.
Mark your calendar - Monday is Memorial Day and the following week is our last week of school (also a 4-day week), so we're getting close to the finish line. The last day for seniors is next Friday, June 3. The last day of school is Thursday, June 9th. All schools dismiss early on June 9: HS at 9:20 AM, Middle Schools at 9:45 AM and Elementary Schools at 11:45 AM.