The General Fund Budget for the 2019 – 2020 school year in the amount of $186,470,379 was approved by the Parkland Board of School Directors during the regularly scheduled Board meeting on Tuesday, June 25, 2019. The balanced budget includes positive trending of the district’s total Assessed Valuation which drives a higher dollar value per mill and increased revenues.
The Proposed Budget represents an increase of .29 mills or 1.88% for a total mill rate of 15.71. At that rate, a home with a $100,000 assessed valuation would realize a tax increase of $29 for the year. For the median assessed home in Parkland valued at $228,300, the tax increase would be $66.21 for the year. Also of note is the value of the Homestead/Farmstead gaming credit projected to be $110.85 per approved property which helps offset the tax increase.
Key Points of the 2019-20 Proposed Budget:
- The Board endorsed a 7th year of capital improvement projects in January 2019 as work continues on Veterans Memorial Elementary School, scheduled to open in the fall of 2020. Renovations at Schnecksville Elementary School will begin this summer and roofing projects, school bus and technology purchases have been approved for the coming school year.
- Cyber charter school funding continues to add stress to public school budgets and Parkland is no exception. Parkland total tuition costs paid to cyber charter schools has increased from approximately $1.19 M in 2014-15 to $1.7 M in 2018-19. The formula is based on school district expenditures with no relation to actual instructional costs. Not one Pennsylvania charter school earned a passing grade during the five years of state-issued School Performance Profile scores and last year, most of the state-sponsored cyber schools placed in the bottom 5% for educational performance.
- The Proposed General Fund Budget includes a $6,386,426 appropriation of Fund Balance which equates to .80 mills to balance the budget.
- As of May 21, 2019, one mill of property tax is projected to produce $7,974,538 at a 97% collection rate.
- Last year’s (2018-19) Budget required a tax increase of 1.92% totaling 15.42 mills with a total budget of $179,349,218.
More Budget Documents:
2020-2021 Proposed Final Budget
The Proposed General Fund Budget for the 2020 – 2021 school year in the amount of $194,164,262 was approved by the Parkland Board of School Directors during the regularly scheduled Board meeting on Tuesday, May 19, 2020. The Proposed Budget represents an increase of 0.00 mills for a total mill rate of 15.71. As per legal requirements, this document must remain on public display for 30 days until final adoption at the June 23, 2020 Board meeting. Please address any questions or comments to John Vignone, Director of Business Administration, at email@example.com.