PARKLAND SUMMER STEMM ACADEMY INFORMATION
In 2017, we are expanding our summer STEMM academy offerings. A big “Thank You” to Parkland Education Foundation! We will be offering numerous sessions at both the High School (grades 9-11 as of this school year) and the Middle School (grades 6-8 as of this school year). Thanks to our sponsor, the cost of the camps will be only $100 for the High School and $50 for the Middle School and are on a first come basis. We will hold a waiting list for registrations after our total capacity is met. For complete details download the registration forms.
HS STEMM Info and Registration 2017 (For Students currently in grades 9-11 as of this ’16-’17 school year)
MS STEMM info and registration 2017 (For Students currently in grades 6-8 as of this ’16-’17 school year) (THE MIDDLE SCHOOL VIDEO PRODUCTION SESSION HAS MET IT’S FULL ENROLLMENT.)
What is STEMM?
Education in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) is a national movement that Parkland identifies as an integral part of our educational process to prepare students in an increasingly global economy.
21st Century Skills and the 4 C’s (Communication, Creativity, Collaboration, and Critical Thinking) are essential to the success of our students as they enter the global workforce. STEMM education is a way of bringing to life and connecting the careers as we are, “Inspiring Today’s Minds to Become Innovators for Tomorrow.”
What is the purpose of this education?
- Allows Students the best opportunity to make sense of the skills needed as a whole rather than in bits and pieces.
- Removes the traditional barriers between contents and builds understanding as it is applied in the global economy.
- Exists in every corner of the world as students connect their knowledge with engineering, lab research, manufacturing, doctors, graphic arts, performing arts and an endless number of other innovative jobs.
- Increase exposure and awareness of STEMM pathways and careers in all content areas.
- Strengthen partnerships between workforce and their future employees.
- Encourage and foster our existing curriculum that supports higher order thinking through inquiry-based learning.
- Create opportunities for students to work on teams and experience real life situations in a STEMM workforce.
Videos from STEMM Academy 2016
Video from STEMM Academy 2015
Video from STEMM Academy 2014
Parkland’s STEMM Summer Camp for Grades 6-8 in 2013
In 2013, Parkland Middle School students experienced unforgettable fun at the Parkland Gateway Academy Summer Day Camp. Incorporating innovation and fun with meaningful experiences, Project Lead the Way and the Society of Manufacturing Engineers Education Foundation collaborate to prepare students for the rigors of high school science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and medicine (STEMM) classes.
Video from 2013 camp