The Arts are alive at Kratzer Elementary School!
Vocal music classes at Kratzer Elementary school involve active learning and music making through a variety of activities. Music is for EVERYONE and is a necessary part of healthy, human development. Everyone has the potential to make music. I firmly believe that making music should be fun! We laugh, play, sing, and dance as we learn the building blocks that form the basis for music education in the Parkland School District.
- Aural/musical development is similar to language development. The earlier children are exposed to learning music, the more success they will have.
- In my music classes, the voice is our main instrument, with singing as the basis for most of our musical activities. We use rhythm syllables, solfegge, and pitch names to establish tonal and rhythmic relationships.
- My goal is to make every child musically literate. After gaining basic musical skills including the abilities to match pitch, move to the beat, and respond expressively to music, each student will learn to read, write, compose, and improvise music at his or her own developmentally appropriate level.
- All Third grade students in the Parkland School District learn to play the soprano recorder. Our Kratzer Elementary School third graders perform a program each June in which their recorder skills are featured.
- Fourth and Fifth graders at Kratzer Elementary School have the opportunity to take band and/or string instrument lessons here at school, with Dr. Watson and/or Mrs. Hallett. Several concerts featuring these students are performed each year.
- It has become tradition here at Kratzer, that all of our Fifth grade students participate in our choral programs. Students learn how to read and perform two-part (soprano/alto) treble music in music classes and chorus rehearsals. Our Fifth graders are the main performers of our Winter and Spring concerts each year. Fifth graders who have a special affinity for music, especially singing, also have the opportunity to participate in our district-wide Parkland Elementary Chorale which is held as an after-school program.
Please visit the main menu bar above for information and news for each of our grade levels and vocal performing groups. You will also find a section for favorite musical websites and a blog area where students and parents can post positive comments and musical news. If there is anything that you would like to see added to our Kratzer Vocal Music Website, please don’t hesitate to contact me.