Name Section Homeroom
8th Grade Sculptor Report
1) Choose a sculptor that interests you. Here are a list of possible sculptors and their subject matter:
1) Alexander Calder (mobiles, stabiles, large-scale abstract work)
2) Claes Oldenburg (large-scale everyday objects, food sculpture, soft sculpture objects)
3) Andy Goldsworthy (nature/environmental sculpture)
4) Henry Moore (modern reclining, family sculptures)
5) Dale Chihuly (abstract glass sculpture)
6) Louise Nevelson (found object, recycled material sculptures)
7) Deborah Butterfield (horse sculptures)
8) Sandy Skoglund (staged rooms with surreal qualities)
9) Michelangelo Buonarroti (famous sculptures of David, The Pieta)
10) Auguste Rodin (famous sculpture of The Thinker, figurative works)
2) Research your sculptor. You will need to answer some questions about your sculptor in the first paragraph of your essay. Please write down at least two different sources (websites, books, etc) where you find your sculptor information. List your sources below:
* you may want to copy and paste long web addresses into a word document, print them, and then attach them to this paper
3) Choose 2 DIFFERENT sculptures made by your selected sculptor. Please choose two sculptures that look very different in appearance from each other. Please print one picture of each sculpture for reference. The pictures do not have to be in color but do need to be clear enough to see. Please label one of the printed sculpture images “Sculpture #1” and the other image “Sculpture #2.
You will not be able to work with the clay until your report is written and turned in to me. Each day the report is late, 5 points will be deducted from your final grade.
|Paragraph||Please answer these questions to the best of your ability. If you
cannot find an answer, use other interesting information to fill that
spot. You still must have 5 sentences/ paragraph. Must be in your
|Your Pts||Teacher Pts||Total Pts|
|2 images||You must have 2 different images of sculptures by your selected
sculptor. Please label one sculpture “#1” and the other “#2”
|Bibliography||You must cite at least two different sources that were used to research
(internet, books, etc)
About your sculptor
Describing sculpture #1
a) What is the sculpture showing, what is the title, size, material, color, shape, texture (use adjectives)
Describing sculpture #2
|1) Answer the same questions you responded to in paragraph 2, but use sculpture #2 while answering.||5|
Comparing and contrasting
|1) How are the two sculptures alike in terms of
a) art elements (size, shape, color, texture, material, subject matter)
b) style (abstract, realistic, modern, ancient,…)
2) How are the two sculptures different? (use the same points above)
3) How would sculpture #1 be effected if the size, color, texture, location, etc where changed?
4) Answer the same question above, but use sculpture #2.
5) Show sculpture #1 or #2 to a parent, friend, or sibling. How is their opinion of the sculpture different/ the same as yours?
a) Have your opinions about the sculptures changed?
b) How do you appreciate the sculptures more now that you have looked at them closely?
|GRAMMAR||Use of correct grammar, spelling, capitol letters, punctuation,||5|
|Handwriting||Use of hand writing and effort on being Legible||5|
|ON TIME?||– 5 every day it is late|