During the Tuesday, September 22, 2009 Board Meeting, the Parkland school administrators presented new boundary lines for five of Parkland’s seven elementary schools which will go into effect when the new Fred J. Jaindl Elementary School opens in September 2010.
The Fred J. Jaindl Elementary School will be the District’s 8th elementary school and will serve the Southwest corner of the District. About 435 students who currently attend Fogelsville Elementary School will be re-assigned to the new school. In order to balance enrollment between schools, some students who currently attend Parkway Manor and Cetronia Elementary Schools will be re-assigned to attend Fogelsville. To balance the attendance in the northern part of the district, some students who currently attend Kernsville Elementary School will be reassigned to Schnecksville Elementary School. The students and boundaries that are currently in place for Ironton and Kratzer Elementary Schools will not be affected. Parkland has two middle schools and one high school, and boundaries for these buildings will not be affected by the new elementary sending areas.
Highlights about the redistricting process include the following:
- Five of the seven current elementary schools will be affected by the redistricting effort.
- 723 current students and their families have been notified that they will have a new school assignment next year.
- Students who received notice of a new assignment and who will be in 4th or 5th grade next year have the option of staying at their current school.
- Transportation will be provided to those 4th and 5th grade students opting to remain at their current school.
- Maps with the current sending area boundaries and the new boundaries are attached to this press release.
- Enlarged maps are on display at the elementary schools for parents to view new sending areas in detail.
- Spring orientations are being planned for all students who are reassigned so that they may become familiar with their new building before next school year.
Dr. Louise E. Donohue, Superintendent of Schools, stated, “It has been Parkland School District’s goal for a number of years to seek balance among our seven elementary schools with regard to class size as well as the overall school size across the district. The addition of the Jaindl School will maintain this consistency and allow for future growth.”