The 2011 Homecoming Football Game brought a win for the football team, and a ton of school spirit as various Parkland High School clubs competed in a contest for the best float that honored the heroes of 9/11. The Art Club’s float won first place and can be seen above.
Congratulations to Lauren Caffrey and Tom Golden – this year’s Homecoming Queen and King!
For a complete list of the Homecoming Float winners, click the read more button below.
* First Place, $100 — Art Club, which featured a float called “Heroes: Parkland, Who Inspires You” that included Iwo Jima and the World Trade Center towers.
* Second place, $75 — Peer Helpers, which honored the heroes of Flight 93. They had a roll call and a moment of silence for the 40 passengers who had been on board on that fateful day.
* Third place, $50 — Par Key, the Yearbook Club, which showed pictures of students who have served in the armed forces.
Also awarded for $25 prizes for:
* Best Theme — American Sign Language Club, which showed pictures of school staff.
* Most School Spirit — PALS, who work with special education children, showcased volunteers.
* Best Performance — The Dance Team for their tribute to New York City’s firefighters.
* Most Entertaining — The French Club which featured Spiderman and the Eiffel Tower.
* Best Set/Backdrop — A tie, the Junior Class for its Captain America/Army float and the Senior Class for Superman.
* Most Creative –Latin Club for its Heroes of Ancient Rome.