- In the United States during 2009, there were approximately 301 million swimming visits each year by persons over the age of six 1.
- Thirty-six percent of children aged 7-17 years, and 15% of adults in the United States, swim at least six times per year 1.
- Swimming is the fourth most popular recreational activity in the United States 1.
- Swimming is the most popular recreational activity for children and teens (ages 7-17) 1.
- About 91 million people over the age of 16 swim in oceans, lakes, and rivers each year in the United States 2.