Free Microsoft Office Suite for Parkland Students and Staff
The web-based and desktop versions of the Microsoft Office Suite are now available at no cost to Parkland students and staff. The online suite includes Word Online, Outlook.com, OneNote Online, PowerPoint Online, Excel Online, and OneDrive for storage as well as the ability to download the full desktop (installed) version of Office for free on up to 5 devices. The installed desktop version of Microsoft Office ProPlus Suite includes the following programs:
- Word (also available in web format)
- Outlook (also available in web format)
- OneNote (also available in web format)
- PowerPoint (also available in web format)
- Excel (also available in web format)
- OneDrive (online storage – desktop app is available to synchronize files and folders – similar to Dropbox)
- Publisher (desktop version only)
- Access (desktop version only)
The web site is Office.com and the login username and password have been synchronized with students’ and staff network logins so it will not be necessary to create another account. The username will be the numeric network login ID with @parklandsd.org appended. For example, if a staff/student’s network login is 12345 his or her username would be firstname.lastname@example.org. The password to login is synchronized with the student or staff member’s network account password.
Microsoft is also offering 1 terabyte of free storage space, the equivalent of approximately a thousand 1 gigabyte flash drives. The accounts can be used with up to 5 devices. Mobile apps are available for both iOS (Apple) and Android devices which support the use of this cloud-based version of Microsoft Office.
For instructions, please see below:
1. Go to portal.office.com and click Sign in (top right of the page). Do not select the option to create a new account.
2. Enter your user ID as in the example below and click Next. You will be redirected to the login page where you will enter your current network login password.
3. Once signed in you will be presented with a dashboard similar to the one below
Please note that it is possible (and depending on your device might be preferable) to use only the web-based version of the software. The web apps are designed to synchronize with the desktop version of the software by clicking on a button at the top of the screen to launch the full desktop version (see sample below):
Additional Office 365 Resources
Frequently asked questions From Office 365 web page
- Have a school-specific email address provided by the school (for example, contoso.edu) that can receive external email.
- Be of legal age to sign up for an online offer individually (13 years old).
- Have Internet access.
- If you are using the full, installed Office applications, the Office applications will enter a reduced-functionality mode, which means that you can view documents, but you cannot edit or create new documents.
- Online services associated with the school email address—for example, Office Online and OneDrive—will no longer work.